Monday, March 17, 2008

Sleep!

Many experts agree that adequate sleep is important for maintaining our health. Unfortunately, my sleep has been both sporadic and restless. I chalk it up to a few different reasons:

Pregnancy: It's harder for me to find a comfortable position these days. I prop myself up with lots of pillows (right now Hubby and I have ten on our bed!), but sometimes I just can't get comfortable! Moreover, I find myself waking every hour to use the bathroom. My bladder has become the size of a peanut, I think.

My mother: Her terminal illness and daily care is starting to take an emotional toll on me. I tend to have a crying jag most nights--usually shortly after I get into bed, perhaps because my mind is clear to think about her. And I also dream about her a lot, too, which interferes with my rest.

Reading: Around the time my mom took a turn for the worst, I started reading books in bed before turning in for the night. Big mistake. I've always wrestled with insomnia, and for many years followed the standard sleeping rule: Use the bed for sleeping only. As soon as I started reading in bed, I found it much harder to fall asleep at night, which means I get fewer hours of rest.

I've been trying to follow Steve Pavlina's guidelines for How to Become an Early Riser, but I just don't have the discipline to do it. Nonetheless, I'm going to keep trying. I need to do something to get my sleeping schedule back on track.

No comments: