Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Parties

Fortunately for me, Hubby and I have few holiday events this year. We did his "work" party, which consisted of a nice buffet. (I had some steamed veggies, potatoes and salad. I admit to having a piece of dessert, too.) Since I'm on the wagon, I only drank water... which probably saved me about 500 calories, since normally I would have had at least 4-5 glasses of wine.

I expect Christmas Eve will be a relatively light meal. My mom's been sick lately, so she'll probably just throw together something small. I might bring a dish, too. And if I do, it'll be something healthy like a nice veggie casserole.

Christmas Day will probably be my biggest obstacle. We do a heavy breakfast, dinner and late supper... so I have to restrain all day long. Fortunately, the meals seem to come so close together that I'm pretty much stuffed by the time I reach the next event... which cuts down on my portions.

After that I only have to deal with a friend's dinner party--not a problem--and New Year's (I'll probably snack a bit).

Being "on the wagon" will be a lifesaver for my waistline this season. I usually drink alcohol at every holiday get-together... probably between 500-1,000 calories. By avoiding alcohol at just 4 events, I've saved myself a pound of weight gain. Pretty cool.

3 comments:

Fatinah said...

glad to hear that you're having such great success with not drinking - shocking calorie saver!!

Sally JPA said...

Yes, water does make a big difference! The alcohol certainly adds up.

Living Healthy said...

Staying on track during the holidays is always hard, but finding what works for you is the key to success. To help me figure out whats good for me and will fit my lifestyle, I want to read Dr. Dean Ornish's new book the "Spectrum". He provides you tools to customize a way of eating, managing stress, and exercising that is based on your own desires, needs, and genetic predispositions. Hopefully this will help me figure out what's best for me... Here's a link to an interesting discussion about it: http://www.wellsphere.com/viewGroup.s?id=110918