Thursday, November 30, 2006

Outside Versus Treadmill

Whenever I run, I have a choice:

Outside or Treadmill

They both have their pros and cons.

Treadmill Pros
  • I can watch Oprah while I run.
  • It cleverly calculates all the things I need to know, like distance and speed.
  • I don't have to deal with hills.
  • Bad weather? The climate's always the same inside.
Treadmill Cons
  • I don't really like to watch Oprah.
  • Constantly watching my distance on a digital readout sometimes drives me mad.
  • No hills? Boring.
  • No rain? No sunshine? No snow? Boring.
Outside Pros
  • I get to see the scenery and check out my neighborhood.
  • Nothing feels better than pavement beneath my feet.
  • Hills! They make my legs burn.
  • Splashing in rain puddles! Catching snowflakes on my tongue! Sun's rays on my face!
Outside Cons
  • Vicious dogs on the loose.
  • Sometimes I get tired of seeing the same houses over and over again.
  • Hills! They make my legs burn.
  • Lightning storms = scary runs.
So which do I prefer? Outside runs, definitely. But I sometimes jump on the treadmill for variety. Or safety. Or comfort.

No comments: