Monday, November 27, 2006

Some days are a struggle

The road to fitness is not, unfortunately, a downhill sledding event. It's more like skiing uphill. While carrying two fifty pound weights. In each hand.

As much as I enjoy the "afterglow" of exercise--the burn in my muscles, the feeling of accomplishment, the joy of movement--I sometimes need to force myself to actually dress in my workout gear and start the day's planned exercise routine.

I haven't yet shed the lazy-to-the-core girl who used to drive three blocks to the Mexican restaurant. Truth is, I may never lose her entirely. She sits inside of me, reminding me that it's a lot easier to sit than it is to stand, and it's much easier to lie down instead of sit.

My planned workout today is an upper body strength routine consisting of chest presses, rows, bicep curls and tricep extensions.

I am having a hard time removing my ass from my chair, however. So I am offering myself a reward for exercise. (This is one of my primary methods of finding the motivation to move my body.)

Today's reward: One glass of wine.

No comments: