Monday, April 14, 2008

Failed The "Sugar" Test

My OB just called and told me that I failed the 1-hour glucose test, which means there's a chance I have gestational diabetes. To double-check, I am supposed to have a 3-hour glucose test tomorrow. I admit that the news has left me a bit shaken.

In recent years, I've prided myself on being a relatively healthy person. I made pretty good food choices and exercised more than the average American. Pregnancy has kind of sent all my good habits out the window. I've barely been exercising, and I've been eating sweets and starchy carbs like they're about to be banned. So really, this news about the 1-hour glucose test shouldn't be a surprise to me. But it is. A very unpleasant surprise.

All that's required is a 12-hour fast for the 3-hour test, but I'm going to pay attention to my diet today anyway. Maybe I'll be lucky and I'll pass the 3-hour. Maybe this is the "scare" I need to get my diet and exercise back on track.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll pass the 3-hour with flying colors...

2 comments:

Fatinah said...

wow - a wake up call for sure! good luck with the 3 hour test!

Sally JPA said...

I've been out of the loop for a while--I'm so sorry to hear about you losing your mother. And I'm hoping that your 3-hour glucose test comes back fine.

For what it's worth, one of my friends had gestational diabetes, but she and the baby are just fine post-birth.