Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Ready To Walk

I visit my sick mother every day. She spends some days mostly sleeping or napping--or with other visitors--but at least I'm there to give Dad a helping hand. However, because these visits are time-consuming, it's not always easy to find time to exercise.

Then I had a revelation! Why not take a walk while Mom naps?

My parents live on a great road for walking. Although there are no sidewalks, the road is rural, safe, and relatively flat (so I can see oncoming cars).

So I packed up a bag with a pair of capris (good for warmer and cooler days), a tee-shirt, a sports bra, my old running shoes, some athletic socks, and a sweatshirt. They're my most basic pieces--nothing fancy or moisture-wicking--but they'll get the job done in a pinch. I keep the bag in my car all the time so it's ready to grab whenever I have a free hour.

The only thing I'm missing is my iPod. But maybe that's a good thing. Since the road is fairly rural, it's probably a good idea for me to keep my ears open (for dogs, animals, cars, etc.). And this will give me a chance to really enjoy nature, especially during this beautiful Spring season. Perhaps it will help clear my mind and lower my stress levels.

2 comments:

Fatinah said...

smart lady!

Anonymous said...

I can't think of a better way to "process" everything you're going through.