Friday, March 14, 2008

Join a Gym?

Since Hubby and I have a decent home gym set-up, we've never really considered joining an actual fitness facility. However, this pregnancy has made me reconsider a gym membership. Specifically, I am considering the YMCA.

Here are the pros and cons:

PROS
  • Extra facilities that I could use right now, such as a swimming pool
  • Extra facilities and services that we might use in the future, such as racquetball courts and babysitting
  • Special events--such as Mom's Day--that may help me connect with other mothers
CONS
  • Cost is $600+ annual fee, plus $100 sign-up fee
  • The nearest YMCA facility is a 15-20 minute drive... just far enough away to be inconvenient
At one time swimming was my main source of exercise, and I really enjoyed it. I found it to be almost meditative in nature. But at that time, the pool was conveniently located close to my job. I'm not sure that I'll make a special trip into town just to swim.

So right now it's still a possible consideration. But as my pregnant belly gets bigger, I have a feeling that a nice, soothing swim will sound like a great way to stay fit.

No comments: