However... my job provides a regular paycheck. Here are my pros/cons:
Pros of Job
- Regular paycheck with decent salary
- Ability to telecommute from my home office
- Free health insurance with decent coverage
- I hate it.
- I hate it.
- I hate it so much that I'm starting to hate myself for staying with it.
Pros of No Job
- Freedom from current horrible job
- Able to focus more time on my (possibly unpaying) passion for writing fiction
- Sense of self-satisfaction that I didn't "sell out" for a paycheck
- Significantly reduced income (possible $0 a year)
- More financial strain/stress in my life
- Hubby nagging me to make some money
Years ago... when I was but a young, wide-eyed lass with the naive goal of "changing the world," I promised myself that I'd never stay at a job I hated just for money. But then grown-up responsibilities--like bills and groceries--suddenly became part of my life, and I found myself keeping a job I'd grown to despise.
Hubby makes enough to (barely) support us. But we'd definitely have to tighten our belts if I quit my job. That means, potentially, more arguments about money. More financial stress. And less fun (or at least the kind of fun you can have with money).
What do you think? What would you do?