Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Epiphany

The 40 Day Challenge has brought some things to my attention.

It's been an eye-opening experience, and I've only been doing it for seven days!

As some of you may recall, my health/diet challenge was to eliminate distracted eating. All meals were to be at a table when possible. I would no longer read, watch TV or surf the Internet while eating.

This is what I've already learned:

1. When I know that I must focus on my meal instead of a distraction, I choose healthier foods.

2. I used to eat unhealthy foods only when distracted because the distraction (TV, magazine, computer) somehow, in my mind, gave me permission to eat junk. As long as my mind wasn't really focused on the food, I could continue to shovel it in my mouth without guilt.

3. Distracted eating was a crutch for me--a way for me to allow myself to feed my emotions with food.

4. When I focus on my food, I'm satisfied with less.

5. Even the slightest distraction--such as dining with my husband instead of alone--increases the amount of food I eat.

Weird, eh?

Anyway, it's been a great experience so far. I already feel as if I have more control over my eating habits.

2 comments:

Cory said...

Congrats on the control! Those are some important lessons you've learned about yourself. To help with the eating with hubby, you can always try putting less food on your plate.

WeightWatchnWoman said...

Great observations...but more importantly great job sticking to your goal. It is awesome when you can learn something about yourself.