Sunday, December 10, 2006

Broccoli & Bean Soup

I recently discovered a love for pureed soups. Here's the one that's currently in my refrigerator:

Broccoli & Bean Soup
  • 2 small bunches of broccoli florets
  • 4-8 cups veggie broth
  • 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
  • cumin
  • salt & pepper
  • clove or two of garlic, minced
  • some onion, diced
  • olive oil
Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until soft. Add broccoli, broth and half the beans. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer 10-15 minutes (until veggies soft). Puree with immersion blender. Add seasonings and remaining beans. Heat until beans are warm. Serve.

I like to reserve some small bits of broccoli florets until the end, then add them and cook them until just tender. It gives the soup another texture dimension.

For a creamier texture, I might add some rice milk, soy milk or cooked white rice before I blend the soup. Sometimes I add some cauliflower florets or aspargus bits, too.

No comments: