Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Purging My Refrigerator

My other blog, RefrigeratorRaid.com, got its name from my habit of raiding the refrigerator at midnight. (Hence, my nom de plume: Midnight Raider.)

But today I "purged" my refrigerator.

This is an event that I do every week or every two weeks. I carry over the trash can and check the expiration dates on items in my refrigerator. I throw out anything that's old or expired. I discard any leftovers that have been sitting in the fridge for longer than a week.

I dislike throwing away food, and we make every effort to eat everything before it goes bad. However, every once in a while, something escapes our attention. Some things go old. Sometimes we end up dining out more than expected, so we eat fewer meals at home than we planned.

Thus, it's necessary to purge my refrigerator.

I think a clean refrigerator--and organized cabinets--are key for staying focused on a healthy lifestyle. Disorganization makes cooking seem like a difficult task... which, in turn, makes us more likely to rely on high-calorie take-out foods or convenience meals.

Fresh fruits and veggies look a lot more appealing when they're nestled in clean crisper drawers, instead of being buried behind moldy tuna fish.

So today I purged. And now my fridge is ready for me to fill it with lots of healthy foods.

No comments: