Saturday, December 23, 2006

Flexibility

Sure, flexibility training is great for the body.

But sometimes our minds--and our schedules--need to be flexible, too.

I skipped my workout yesterday because my post-Mexican-food-feast tummy ache never really went away. Then, as I assessed my training plan to see how I could adjust it, I realized that I will almost definitely be taking an unplanned "rest" day on Christmas. It's extremely unlikely that I'll be able to squeeze in a workout that day, since I'll be busy spreading holiday cheer to friends and family.

But I don't want to miss my scheduled "long run," either.

So I've had to alter my workout plan for this week just a little bit. Instead of resting on Saturday (today), I'm running. Instead of running on Sunday, I'm cross-training. And then Monday will be my rest day.

It's not a perfect solution. I'm totally a scheduled person, and I hate to break out of a planned routine.

But shit happens, you know? And the holidays are a time for focusing on our loved ones. I do not want to be checking my watch halfway thru Christmas dinner, wondering if I have time to exercise and shower before everyone opens their gifts. It's better to just plan for that day to be a "rest" day. All anxiety--at least, fitness-related anxiety--is eliminated.

Of course, that doesn't help eliminate the anxiety that accompanies spending time with family.

But at least it's one less thing to worry about.

No comments: