Thursday, December 21, 2006

Safety first!

I dislike running in the dark. First, it means I'm more likely to get hit by a car. Second, it gives me the creeps (e.g. What bush is the serial killer hiding behind?).

However, since M has started exercising a bit, I sometimes wait until he gets home so we can run together. This alleviates my fear about the serial killer, but I still worry about those gigantic, metal monsters we call "automobiles."

Reflective clothing should, obviously, be my first line of defense. However, I am the first to admit that I can be a little lax in this area. My running tights and hat are both black. And though all my running shirts are white (and my jacket is light blue), they only have a few reflective stripes or patches--nothing really outstanding. M has absolutely nothing that is reflective--a really bad idea, since he's usually in front. (Hey. He's faster than me. He's got more muscle. What can I say? I've got more endurance, though. But I digress.)

So one of my New Year's resolutions is to buy a few nice reflective pieces for cold weather, like an Illuminite hat. It's not cheap--a hat is $20--but at least I'll be a little safer.

Today's workout is a run, but I think I'll do it on the treadmill. I just don't feel like playing "Frogger" on the street tonight.

No comments: