Monday, December 4, 2006

More soup

Weekends are always kind of a bust for me. We do a lot of socializing, which means wine and food. We also tend to run errands on weekends, which means restaurant lunches. I do my best to keep Friday Night thru Monday Morning from turning into one big, lazy feast.

Fortunately, since I've scheduled my "long runs" for Sundays, I am at least exercising during the weekend. It also means less wine on Saturday night, 'cause running and horrible hangovers just don't mix.

Went grocery shopping this weekend, too. M--also known as my other half--and I tend to spend too much on groceries, I think. I like to buy organic when possible, and I probably more crap than I need.

Anyway... made a batch of soup for the week after we went grocery shopping. This time it's a garlic and pasta soup. Here's the basic recipe:

Minced garlic
Veggie broth
White beans
Small pasta
Olive oil

I use lots of garlic... about 8-10 cloves. I mince it very tiny and then warm it in some olive oil (about 2 tablespooons). Then I add the veggie broth (about a quart or so, and I prefer the Unchicken Broth) and a can of drained and rinsed Great Northern beans. I let this simmer for about 30 minutes, then I bring it to a boil. I add a small pasta (I like whole grain alphabets)... about 1/3 cup. Lower to simmer for about 5 minutes, then remove from heat for another 5 minutes. Sometimes I stir in a little extra flavor, such as red wine vinegar, sherry vinegar or soy sauce. I finish with salt and pepper, of course.

Tasty.

1 comment:

Annieann77 said...

Excellent soup recipes! Thanks for the ideas! I love soup :)