Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Not enough meals in the day

Strangely enough, there just don't seem to be enough meals in the day. I like to eat a variety of foods--whole grains, veggies, fruits. Eating the "rainbow," as they call it, although that always sounds mildly suggestive to me.

But it always seems as if I don't eat enough meals to get all the nutrients I want. Here's a typical day's meals:
  • Meal 1: Soy sausage patties, shredded wheat, rice milk
  • Meal 2: Broccoli and bean soup (maybe a slice of whole grain bread, too)
  • Meal 3: Whole grain pasta tossed with olive oil, basil and some diced tomatoes
  • Meal 4: Stir fry veggies (broccoli, onion, green beans), tofu and brown rice
  • Meal 5: Popcorn and soy yogurt
So what's missing? No orange veggies (like squash or sweet potatoes). Not enough calcium-rich foods. No fruit. Not enough leafy green veggies.

I guess the key is to eat a large variety of foods over time... as opposed to trying to get all my nutrients in a single day. But this is also a reminder that it's important to take a multi-vitamin. Even if it's shaped like Fred Flintstone.

No comments: