Thursday, March 29, 2007

Food Is Dangerous

And I don't mean the hazard of "This is soooo high in calories."

Last night I had a snack of canned stuffed grape leaves. The ingredients on the can seemed innocent enough: grape leaves, rice, citric acid, salt, pepper, olive oil.

About 10 minutes after eating the snack, my lip started to feel funny. Then it felt like it was swelling. I looked in the mirror and was startled to discover that my lips looked like they belonged to Angelina Jolie. It appeared someone had inserted a tire pump into my bottom lip and was rapidly inflating it to balloon-size.

Clearly I had an allergic reaction to something. It must have been the stuffed grape leaves, although I cannot identify anything in the ingredient list that is suspect. As far as I know, I've never been allergic to any type of food at all.

Hubby--a medical professional--took one look at my swollen lip and said, "Go take a Benadryl now."

So I did.

The result: My lip went back to normal, I got super sleepy, and I feel kinda hungover today. (Antihistamines always have that effect on me.)

The lesson: Food can be dangerous!

3 comments:

Cory said...

That sucks. At least you had the Benedryl.

Judi Finneran said...

But...were they good?

Cheers,

Judi
www.in-homefitness.com

the veggie paparazzo said...

Eek! Glad a Benadryl knocked it out.